Wednesday 11 June 2014

CHOCOLATE ORANGE CAKE TRIANGLES




This started off as a relaxed after-work baking session, but slowly turned into an adding-up of over-excitement and oh-my-god-this-is-so-good baking spree. I was meant to bake some super plain and simple orange cake slices, to use up a couple of lonely oranges I had on top of my kitchen counter. But, I also had a can of coconut milk and some chocolate chips, and everyone knows that chocolate and orange are perfect together, am I right. So after making the cake, I started making a chocolate glaze, and after making the chocolate glaze, I made an orange glaze. And only after making the orange glaze, only then, could I stop. But that’s fine because I got myself a blender and from now on I’m going to blend everything around me, be it breakfast, lunch, dinner or dessert, so this might be the last non-blended product I ever make in my life, but anyway, it’s delicious, try it, you know you want to.




CHOCOLATE ORANGE CAKE TRIANGLES


200g (1 ¾ cup) plain flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
60ml (1/4 cup) sunflower oil or other flavourless oil
50g (1/4 cup) caster sugar
120ml (1/2 cup) soya milk or other non-dairy milk
Juice of 3 medium oranges
Zest of 1 orange

Glaze:
60ml (1/4 cup) canned coconut milk
75g (1/2 cup) dark chocolate chips

60g (1/2 cup) icing sugar
1 tablespoon orange juice
Zest of half an orange

Preheat the oven to 170°C (340°F) and lightly grease a rectangular cake/brownie tin. In a mixing bowl, beat together sugar and oil, then add in the orange juice and orange zest and stir until combined. In a separate bowl, sift in the flour, bicarbonate of soda and baking powder. Add the flour mixture to the wet mixture a bit at a time, stirring and gradually adding the milk until everything is well combined. Pour into the tin and bake for 20 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centre of the cake comes out clean. Leave the cake in the tin for about 10 minutes, then transfer to a cooling rack. When completely cool, cut it into triangles. Next make the chocolate glaze: place the coconut milk on medium heat until it starts simmering, then remove from the heat, add the chocolate chips and stir until melted and well combined. Dip each cake triangle into the glaze, then place back onto the cooling rack to set. After about 30 minutes, make the orange glaze for decorating: mix together icing sugar, orange juice and orange zest in a small bowl and pour or pipe over the triangles.




2 comments:

  1. Wow that was strange. I just wrote an incredibly long comment
    but after I clicked submit my comment didn't show up.
    Grrrr... well I'm not writing all that over again. Regardless, just wanted to say excellent blog!


    Here is my site homepage - ,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mmh, very odd. Also, this one went straight to the 'spam' folder in my account (plus, I can't see the link to your page :( ). If only I knew about technology as much as I know about cake, haha.
      But thanks so much for making the effort, and for the compliments!

      Delete