Saturday 14 June 2014

COCONUT PANNA COTTA



It is now in the public domain that I bought a blender. And if you didn’t know, now you do. I thought I would be blending away stuff all day long, but in fact I was quite intimidated by it at first. It might be because I am known for breaking stuff in very mysterious ways. However, after spending several moneys (!) on it, being stopped in the street by jealous passers-by on my way home from the blender shop (!?) and having received a giant parcel from my mamma full of nuts and dried fruit (which, I think you should know, also included a mouse kitchen timer) (awww), it’s only a matter of time before I fully master it. In this recipe, I take it easy on the blending, and, in fact, you don’t really need one, but I used mine anyway because did you know I got myself a blender. I also used my new mouse kitchen timer (awww). But anyway, this time I’m making vegan and gluten-free panna cotta using coconut milk, and I might lose Italian points if I say it, but this one’s better than the traditional one, serious. It’s so full of flavour and goes perfectly with the raspberry sauce, which I made using a blender. Because I got myself one. Ok enough. Try it it’s yummy.




COCONUT PANNA COTTA
with raspberry sauce


400ml (1 can) canned coconut milk
100ml (1/4 cup + 1 tablespoon) soya milk or other non-dairy milk
80g (1/3 cup) caster sugar
1 teaspoon agar agar flakes (or VegeSet)

Sauce:
70g (1/2 cup) fresh raspberries
1 tablespoon rice syrup or other sweetener

In a pan, dissolve the agar agar flakes into the soya milk, then add coconut milk and sugar and stir until combined. Transfer the pan onto medium heat and bring the mixture to the boil, stirring continuously. As soon as it starts bubbling up, set a (mouse) timer to 3 minutes and keep stirring. When the timer goes off, remove from the heat and pour into 4 ramekins. Let cool for 20-30 minutes, then place in the fridge to set for at least 3 hours. In the meantime, make the raspberry sauce: simply put raspberries and rice syrup into your super cool brand new blender that everyone is jealous of and whiz away. Or, if you don’t have the aforementioned blender, puree the raspberries with a fork, strain the seeds and combine with the rice syrup. When the panna cotta has set, pour the sauce on top and decorate with more raspberries if you like.


No comments:

Post a Comment